We're back at Lot 1 this Saturday with a very special gathering of a few of our favorite lady friends. Call it our post-Valentine's Day slash President's Day weekend everything half-off sale show. Or just call it Ladies Night at Lot 1. Whatever you call it, just be there.
- Nicole Eva Emery first came into our periphery a few years ago in the band Lovebird when we happened upon a show of theirs at Taix. She has a voice that can penetrate your soul and if you're fans of Margo Timmins, Hope Sandoval, and Chan Marshall you'll definitely want your soul penetrated by this woman's voice. You might have heard her singing with Bob Dylan, Jesca Hoop, and Rickie Lee Jones in recent years but we prefer her doing her own thang, especially in venues as small as Lot 1.
- Rainman is Rachel Rufrano and Rachel Rufrano is a heartbreaker. Los Angeles may not know it yet but this girl is a rising star out of the Long Beach scene -- heck, Long Beach may not even know how good this girl really is. She put out a quietly-released record last year and we were so impressed with their previous show with us back in September that we just had to have them back. You're welcome, Los Angeles.
- Lia, Lia, Lia... We've been waiting a loooooong time to do a show with Lia Rose, pretty much since the day we first saw her as an original member of the band Minipop some 8 years ago -- which, of course, was the best version of the band. She's since gone solo but in between formed the wonderful band Built for the Sea (who we did a show for in 2007 at Tangier) and most recently joined Or, The Whale for a series of shows last year. It's been a long road in getting the Long Beach native to town again but it's finally come and she'll be bringing her most recent record When You Need Me Most with her. It'll be so worth the wait.
- Coming down with Rose will be touring partner Kelly McFarling who we honestly hadn't heard anything about until we were sent this video and subsequently liked/favorited it. We're up in the Bay Area at least once a month (actually, we just saw Lia Rose last weekend up there) and we are downright miffed that we have not been graced by this woman's voice yet. We're fixin' to change that Saturday. Get her latest album Distractible Child on Bandcamp.
- The last time we did a show with Nettie Rose she was working on her debut album. Um, yeah, that was two years ago and we hear she's still working on it. And while others may be in awe of the fact that she's the Granddaughter of the man who coined the phrase "Rock 'N Roll" we're just blown away that she wrote a song as perfect as "Ride Ride Ride" as a teenager. Come early to see this future star of the L.A. country scene to hopefully get a taste of the album we've been waiting for like half a decade.
We hope you can make it to Lot 1 to check out these lovely ladies, buy some records, and maybe become lifelong fans. Or come by and just hang out with us. We'd like that.
February 18, 2012
Los Angeles Loves...
NICOLE EVA EMERY
Lot 1 Cafe
1533 W. Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90026